Monday, February 4, 2008

Christa

After studying John 15:11, a came up with a few things that I got out of the passage:
Jesus is our example as to how we should live our life. We should strive to have a blessing relationship with our father, just as he did.
From an ecology stand point, a branch (us) can’t survive without nourishment from the vine (God) – (verse 4). We should read our bible and enhance our relationship with the father to receive that nourishment – (verse 6).
“Ask what you wish and it will be done” – (verse 7). Scripture teaches us how to pray and what to pray for. When we pray in Jesus name, we are praying in who Jesus was as a person, Holy and Pure (John 14:13). Therefore, our prayers/requests should be holy and pure.

As I was reading the three assigned chapters, I kept noticing the author would repeat “Abide in Me”. I went back to the verse in the bible and it actually says “Abide in Me and I in You”. I think that is a package deal and we should remember that through out this book. If we abide in Christ, then He will in turn abide in us. Isn’t that the whole point? How can we receive the blessings God has in store for us (blessing of salvation and eternal life) if we don’t abide in Him and Him in I. When we became Christians, we made a promise to abide in Him. In doing so, we were filled with the Holy Spirit and given a new heart, one that would strive to do what we were called to do. Therefore, as He keeps His promise to abide in us, we should also keep our promise to abide in Him. I do, however, have a hard time “giving up entirely” to Him (as pg.21 discusses). To truly abide in Him, I need to allow Him to have control over everything. I often try to do things without Him. I don’t do this intentionally, but I should purposely let Him lead. “There is not a spot in our entire lives over which he does not wish to reign” – (pg. 21)

The following song came to my mind as I was reading which I think sums it up…
”Trust and obey, There’s no other way, To be happy in Jesus, But to trust and obey”

This study is truly an eye opener as to what areas of my life I need to reevaluate.

No comments: