As stated in my bio I am an ecologist and tend to understand the ecological systems more so than a history lesson.:) As I read the next 3 chapters a few things came to mind that I would like to share…
I first came across the concept of root tot when I was trying to grow a frangipani plant native to Hawaii. You can grow this shrub from a cutting off another shrub. My first two attempts were not successful. The cuttings got “root rot” and died. My third attempt is barely hanging on. However the fourth and fifth attempts are still growing strong. What did I do different? I coated the last two cuttings with “root tone” before planting them. Root tone provides a substrate of nourishment that protects the root. What can cause root rot start you might ask….lack of proper nourishment, too much water, subjection to harsh conditions, or if planted with another cutting that has root rot. A branch’s healthiness is a reflection of its substrate (root tone), nourishment, and surrounding conditions. In the same sense a Christians spiritual healthiness is a reflection of its foundation (faith), nourishment (bible & prayer), and their surrounding conditions (friends and family, activities, etc). As I thought about this comparison I began to question…Lord, am I a ‘root rotted” branch on your tree of life? Does my negative attitude or actions spread to others? My lack of commitment to read the bible every day….has it caused my branch to rot? Ecologically speaking root rot can be cured, but only with the right care and nourishment. I failed to cure root rot in my first to attempts. With the correct foundation my last two attempts should survive. Do I need to examine my foundation? What type of care and nourishment am I missing? Dear Lord I pray that I am not a root rotted branch on your tree of life. I pray that you will show me the way of nourishment so that my spiritual soul will not die of root rot.
A branch’s healthiness is the reflection of its relationship with the vine. The only way for it to survive is to feed off the vine. We as Christian’s should feed off our vine of life – Jesus (pg 35). The sap that flows between the branch and the vine is their “connection”. The Holy Spirit provides that connection for us. As the branch is dependent on sap and the vine for abundant life and happiness we must realize that we must be dependent to Jesus for the abundant life and happiness that He thinks we deserve. Without the branch, the vine can do nothing (pg 36). The vine cannot bear fruit of His own He needs the branches. Therefore, to “abide in Him” shouldn’t we bear fruit too by bringing the unsaved to know Jesus? He will help us because if we “abide in him, he will abide in us”.
As one has faith that a plant will grow with water and sunlight (photosynthesis); one should have faith that we can grow as Christians in the eye of our father (love of Christ).
I first came across the concept of root tot when I was trying to grow a frangipani plant native to Hawaii. You can grow this shrub from a cutting off another shrub. My first two attempts were not successful. The cuttings got “root rot” and died. My third attempt is barely hanging on. However the fourth and fifth attempts are still growing strong. What did I do different? I coated the last two cuttings with “root tone” before planting them. Root tone provides a substrate of nourishment that protects the root. What can cause root rot start you might ask….lack of proper nourishment, too much water, subjection to harsh conditions, or if planted with another cutting that has root rot. A branch’s healthiness is a reflection of its substrate (root tone), nourishment, and surrounding conditions. In the same sense a Christians spiritual healthiness is a reflection of its foundation (faith), nourishment (bible & prayer), and their surrounding conditions (friends and family, activities, etc). As I thought about this comparison I began to question…Lord, am I a ‘root rotted” branch on your tree of life? Does my negative attitude or actions spread to others? My lack of commitment to read the bible every day….has it caused my branch to rot? Ecologically speaking root rot can be cured, but only with the right care and nourishment. I failed to cure root rot in my first to attempts. With the correct foundation my last two attempts should survive. Do I need to examine my foundation? What type of care and nourishment am I missing? Dear Lord I pray that I am not a root rotted branch on your tree of life. I pray that you will show me the way of nourishment so that my spiritual soul will not die of root rot.
A branch’s healthiness is the reflection of its relationship with the vine. The only way for it to survive is to feed off the vine. We as Christian’s should feed off our vine of life – Jesus (pg 35). The sap that flows between the branch and the vine is their “connection”. The Holy Spirit provides that connection for us. As the branch is dependent on sap and the vine for abundant life and happiness we must realize that we must be dependent to Jesus for the abundant life and happiness that He thinks we deserve. Without the branch, the vine can do nothing (pg 36). The vine cannot bear fruit of His own He needs the branches. Therefore, to “abide in Him” shouldn’t we bear fruit too by bringing the unsaved to know Jesus? He will help us because if we “abide in him, he will abide in us”.
As one has faith that a plant will grow with water and sunlight (photosynthesis); one should have faith that we can grow as Christians in the eye of our father (love of Christ).
No comments:
Post a Comment