Now this is my most favorite chapter of all - Chapter 20. If I ever wonder my reason for 'being', I need only inhale this truth: the fruit is not for the branch, but for those who come to carry it away; a fruit-bearing vine lives not for itself. My only necessity is to abide. He will produce fruit as the natural process of the abiding.I am astonished by the truth of this - that as I am in the Vine, I am more and more enfused with the nature of that Vine. That surprises me daily! The fact that I actually desire to be a blessing is so far from my own nature - it can only be the result of being overtaken by the nature of the Vine flowing freely through me.
Father, how amazing it is that you chose to graft me into The vine. I could not graft myself, nor can I force myself to produce fruit - not even for the benefit of those I love. I believe that we are one and that your life flows into me in order for my life to yeild fruit. Forgive me for imagining for one moment that the fruit was for my pleasure or for my benefit. I trust you to send fruit in its season, and to send souls to be nourished by the fruit You create in me. I know I need not ever pray "bless me", nor "use me", nor do I need to "press in" or "break through" - all of these prayer-talk terms imply that we (You and I) are apart and must be reconnected. Thank you, sweet Vine, that we are one, even as You and The Father are one. Amen
Carol
No comments:
Post a Comment