Saturday, March 15, 2008

Theory M and other reflections--Gilda

Just some quick thoughts on abiding in Christ, what all of us are striving to do more consciously and more deeply. I remembered hearing about Theory M, the theory which posits eleven dimensions of existence. Not only can't I follow the mathematical derivation, I can't even wrap my imagination around the possibility. Or can I?

I studied and used the concepts of optics for years. One of the first things I learned was how tiny our visual capacity is, relative to the spectrum of light. It's always seemed extensive to me. And, yet, I know of creatures with better night vision, or greater visual acuity, or broader fields of vision. And even these guys can't see UV radiation.

After remembering optics, my thoughts returned to dimensions (eleven or more or less, whatever). And imagining them was easy. Especially, when I could see, over and beyond all of them, a dimension beyond dimension, one which holds the others together and floods them with life, the presence of God.

* * *

I also loved the fruit tree metaphor that Carol mentioned. (So much for complaining about necessary, but "thankless" experiences.)

And I loved the image of the hammock brought up by Carol, then Susan Byars. A delightful, or frustrating, or funny balancing act. Susan Byars alluded to something I've often experienced. Humor in God's presence. What a wonderful thing!

Enough reflections for now. I'd anticipated a laptop for this experience, and it's been backordered. Writing at the desk is tough on one of my sciaticic nerves. So, along with apologies for not contributing to the blog more frequently, I want to send my assurance that I'm with you even when I'm computer-mute. I hope we'll meet soon. And I look forward to typing more entries from my recliner on a laptop. A recliner. Not a hammock!

No comments: